The Building Maintenance – Facilities Supervisor ensures that Covenant House Vancouver provides a safe, clean, healthy living and working environment for youth and staff. Maintain the highest standards and quality of work from Maintenance and Housekeeping staff while providing staff with continuous training, and support. The Facilities supervisor will also be involved in energy efficiency and conservation within the facilities and custodial. The successful incumbent will be well versed in the planning, scheduling and coordinating for the provision of building and equipment maintenance; inspection; maintenance and repair of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, preparation of operating budget estimates; monitoring the work of contractors; analyzing maintenance reports and consultant studies to determine life-cycle expectations; make recommendations for upgrade or repair; arrange for and review technical reports and drawings; and conduct facility condition assessments to ensure conformance to various codes such as building, mechanical, electrical and fire.
- Encourages and motivates staff to perform their duties to the best of their abilities and meet department objectives. He/she participates in the staff hiring process, including hiring interviews, training employees; The supervisor is responsible for the training of all staff in the use of equipment, and to ensure that safety procedures for this equipment are followed to protect the youth and fellow employees.
- Provide quality assurance inspections to the Facilities Manager
- Call in required trades people as necessary
- Supervise contractors on the maintenance of HVAC, fire safety equipment, preventive maintenance and other physical facilities related systems. Ensure systems are tested and monitored on a regular basis
- Provide and ensure room maintenance inspection reports are completed
- Complete work orders as assigned
- Repair/paint vacated rooms as required
- Advise Facilities Manager any building maintenance required
- Work with vendors as directed
- Delivery and pick-up of items as required
- Oversee and/or call in purchases of maintenance & housekeeping supplies, janitorial clothing, furniture & equipment
- Conduct daily Janitorial and Facilities Audits.
- Maintain janitorial log at end of every shift
- Inform Facilities Manager of any building maintenance required
- Maintain an asset inventory database, and update asset management plan as required.
- Support with purchasing as directed
- Conduct periodic facility inspections
- Assists the facilities Manager in project management, overseeing the activities of project teams / working groups, establishing work plans, priorities, milestones and schedules, monitoring work performance against deliverables, providing appropriate reports and recommendations throughout the process. At times the incumbent may have full responsibility for smaller projects assigned to him/her.
- Coordinate set-up/Tear down for special events
- Manage the preventative maintenance schedule and work orders for maintenance department. Maintains a system for recording preventative and reactive maintenance tasks completed as well as logs for vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Required to respond to emergency calls outside his/her regular scheduled hour of work and must carry a CHV issued electronic device such as a Blackberry, Smartphone etc., at all times
- Participate on Joint Occupational Health and Safety committee as required.
- Take calls for facilities manager during vacation or off days.
- Other duties as assigned
- Post-secondary certification in a building trade or diploma in engineering or property management with a minimum of 8 years of previous experience in building operations and facilities management and a minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience is required.
- Building Services Certification is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of the functions and operations of heating, air conditioning and ventilating equipment and related control systems.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in building support services, including maintenance, repair and janitorial work.
- Sound knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems and general building structures and components.
- Knowledge of energy efficient technologies and program development.
- Project management experience is an asset.
- Floor care experience is required.
- Skill in developing scope of work for various projects, tendering documents, award recommendations and contract administration
- Ability to determine priority for the replacement, repairs, and upgrades based on system conditions and functional needs.
- Ability to research and determine manufacturers and industry standard maintenance protocols for facility components and systems such as roofs, HVAC systems, electrical systems and painting.
- Ability to complete accurate cost estimates related to building maintenance projects.
- Ability to develop renewal and replacement programs within defined budgets and timelines. Ability to diagnose causes of equipment breakdown and identify potential problems.
- Monday - Friday; 35 hours per week
- Start Date: August 1, 2017
- Full benefits including sick and personal leave
No phone calls please*
Please attach a cover letter and resume in your application and upload in one file as our system does not allow you to upload more than one file. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Covenant House Vancouver hires on the basis of merit and ensures quality and diversity in the workplace. Our commitment is to ensure equity in employment without race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation or age, except as prescribed by law. We encourage applicants from qualified aboriginal persons, all genders and sexual orientation, persons with disabilities and others with the skills and knowledge to effectively engage with those from diverse backgrounds.
Please Note: All candidates must successfully complete a criminal records check prior to commencing employment at Covenant House Vancouver.