The Building Service Worker ensures that buildings are cleaned on a daily basis, utilizing daily cleaning lists. The building Service Worker responds to emergency clean-ups as necessary, and maintains the janitorial log at the end of each shift.
- Responsible for custodial, light general maintenance and Event Set up and Tear down at Covenant House sites.
- Is a member of the facility maintenance team and is responsible for ensuring a safe environment for our youth
- Liaises with internal, external and partner stakeholders to ensure that their experience is positive.
- Assists with maintaining and operating the building in an efficient manner.
- Works under minimal supervision for routine matters and under guidance for new or complex assignments.
- Responsible for creating a safe and secure work environment for all stake holders.
- Operates custodial equipment in a safe manner
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the internal and external customers.
- Keeps accurate records, including, but not limited to: daily log of activities, equipment usage reports, supplies and material usage reports.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with departments, program partners and others to assess needs of the youth and appropriate responses to the needs.
- Duties include dusting, sweeping, washing, waxing, scrubbing, polishing and vacuuming floors; washing hand basins, sinks, toilets, carpet extraction and tile work and replenishing washroom supplies; cleaning windows, doors, glass partitions and painted surfaces; and setting up tables and chairs and other furniture for scheduled events or activities.
- Responds to emergency clean ups as required.
- Works / collaborates with staff to review and evaluate the effectiveness of maintenance routines
- Assists in developing policy/ process recommendations for the maintenance of the building.
- Ensures that Health and Safety policies are followed at all times
- Uses computer applications as required.
- Responds to building issues in order to maintain a safe environment and positive experience for staff and users
- Prioritizes the work that has been assigned for the day and taking into account the issues that can arise during the shift.
- Resolves customer complaints and inquiries in a satisfactory manner.
- Resolves issues with equipment that are not operating correctly
- Assists with event set up tasks.
- Assists in laundry when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of Grade 12
- Ability to execute oral and written instructions and to deal courteously and effectively with the public.
- A Building Service Worker certificate and GHS is an asset.
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia is required.
- Must possess the ability and commitment to work in a fast-paced environment, set priorities and balance a number of tasks at the same time.
- Proven experience in building and sustaining effective relationships
- Sound knowledge of all aspects of janitorial and building maintenance equipment
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse client base (youth, seniors, adults and special populations)
- Physically capable of carrying out the duties of the position.
- Must be able to lift up to 40lbs.
- Exhibits good judgement and discretion
- Strong consensus building and conflict resolution skills
- Team player, but also works well independently
- Basic computer skills
- Excellent oral & written communications skills
- Accurate keeper of records and information
- Must be able to complete a successful criminal record check.
Start Date: ASAP
No phone calls please*
Please attach a cover letter and resume in your application and upload in one file as our system does not allow you to upload more than one file. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Covenant House Vancouver hires on the basis of merit and ensures quality and diversity in the workplace. Our commitment is to ensure equity in employment without race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation or age, except as prescribed by law. We encourage applicants from qualified aboriginal persons, all genders and sexual orientation, persons with disabilities and others with the skills and knowledge to effectively engage with those from diverse backgrounds.
Please Note: All candidates must successfully complete a criminal records check prior to commencing employment at Covenant House Vancouver.